Monday, February 16, 2009

Gypsy

From pictures of records


Gypsy (formely known as The Underbeats) is a '70s progressive rock band that came straight out of Minneapolis and relocated their new identity in Los Angeles, particularly playing at the Whiskey Go-Go as the house band. Their first four albums were produced by Enrico Rosenbaum, a former member from The Escapades who carried a powerful voice of dynamic harmonies and melodies found on many of the Gypsy's first four albums. He died at the age of 36 from tuberculosis and the Gypsy legacy was continued by James Walsh. Drummer Bill Lordan didn't join the band until after the first album was made, three albums later, he became the drummer for Sly & The Stone's album Small Talk and for many of Robin Trower albums from '74 to '81 (one album in '96). In their 1970 self-titled album, Rico produces and co-produces 11 of the 13 tracks. The band was best known for their recordings of "Gypsy Queen pt. 1 & 2."

I dug up this record sometime during my first year living in Lakewood ('05 to '06ish?). I first caught on to trancing desert-like sounds of the repetitious guitar riffs in "I Was So Young," yet later realizing how the track was sampled by Force of Nature for the Samurai Champloo OST (skip to 3:48 and you'll see what I mean. If you need further proof, look no further). "Here In My Loneliness" was another notable track I wanted the post alongside "I Was So Young" to emphasize the band's potential and variety. I really dig the funky hard drumming in this track, and the organ&guitar combo feels so vibrantly bright and upbeat, I had to post this one in order to enjoy the rest of my day. Gypsy reminds me of a jazz-rock feel of an early Blood, Sweat and Tears with no trumpet section but with Greg Munford-like vocals from Mr. Rosenbaum. The keyboardist, James "Owl" Walsh, does harmonies right, and with Rico singing lead for majority of the tracks; Gypsy deserves recognition for this great album.

Band Members (copied off wikipedia):
James Calvin Johnson (lead guitar, vocals)
Enrico Rosenbaum (guitar, vocals, percussion)
James "Owl" Walsh (keyboards, vocals, percussion)

Doni Larson (bass)
Randy Cates (bass)
Willie Weeks (bass)
Bill Lordan (drums)
Jay Epstein (drums)

From pictures of records

From pictures of records

From pictures of records


Here Is My Loneliness


I Was So Young

2 comments:

  1. And also, "Here Is My Loneliness" sounds really similar to "Thank You" by Nujabes and Apani B. Was that sampled by him or are my ears just eff'ed up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Apani B Fly.
    And I love Samurai Champloo.

    ReplyDelete